Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I get a house from?

You can buy a house from us. Click here to view our current houses for sale.

If you are buying a house privately or wish to move your own house we can quote for the removal of your house.  

If you are purchasing privately then you will need to ensure that you meet all council requirements for the house to go on your new site.

Another important factor is finding out when the house must be gone from it’s current site as we would need to schedule the move and you would need to have your site ready for the house to be moved on to.   

Do I need Council approval to move a used building onto my site?

Yes. All buildings will require a building consent, and most Council’s will also require a resource consent for a relocated building. A second hand building report is required and all of the houses we sell have this report completed for them, as well as a Floor Plan.

Every Council has their own application form for a building consent plus you will need to submit a current CT (Certificate of Title – which can be obtained from Land Information New Zealand or your lawyer should have a copy if the land was recently purchased). You will also need a site plan, drainage plan and foundation plan. To obtain these plans you would need to use either a draughtsperson or an architect. We can recommend people in your area.

Other things to check for are the requirements for any engineering geotec reports. These reports test the stability of the soil for foundations and/or for effluent drainage for a septic tank (in rural areas) to be done as part of the building consent application. There is also often the request for a resite report where a building inspector views the building and completes a report stating that they are happy with the condition of the building and what improvements need to be undertaken after the building arrives on site.

Make sure you allow enough time for Council processing your consents, it is worth checking with your Council on what the likely timeline is, as sometimes they get busy and consents can take longer. Auckland Council is currently 30 days turnaround for a consent.

What should I look for in choosing a building removal company?

Look for a removal company that is established and has a good reputation. Ask questions about all aspects of the job and if you feel comfortable with the company then get a quote. When you are getting quotes make sure that you get comparable quotes that include the same options. Email us if you would like a quote for your building removal.

How much does a house cost to shift?

That depends on how big the house is, how far it is going and what foundations are required. Contact us and we can give you a no obligation free quote. Email us if you would like a quote to relocate your house.

What happens if I want to go ahead and move my house with you?

It’s easy; you just accept our written quotation which will outline what we will do.

The quote will include:

  • The cost of the job
  • Any preparatory work required to shift the house to the new site – eg. removing the house from its current foundations,
  • Transportation permits from the various authorities. We need to obtain permits from Electricity boards, LTCA, etc.
  • New foundation specifications for your house
  • Bracing of the house prior to travel, including the cutting of the house if required for the route we are travelling and the reassembling at the new site
  • Any roofing amendments. Sometime we may need to lower the roof structure and re-erect it again at the other end

Insurance cover is not included, but highly recommended. We can refer you to a suitable insurance broker.

A 50% deposit is required in order to book your house move. The balance of the move is due to be paid within 14 days of completion of the contract. (TBC)

If I buy a house from you, what are the payment terms?

10% on signing (non refundable – however, if John Harkin cannot get the house on-site we refund the deposit minus a $500 site visit fee)

15% within 14 days of signing (John would complete a site visit prior to this payment being made)

70% one week prior to move commencing

5% upon completion of the foundations.

Once signing the contract we provide three months free storage. After 3 months the yard storage fee is $30 plus GST per day

What other services do you offer?
  • We can shift your house on it’s current site if you need to subdivide a section or if you want to change it’s position on site to allow for more sun or to extend your current dwelling.
  • We can repile your house or raise the level of your house, to fit in another level for a garage or storage area
Do you buy houses for removal?

Yes. If you have a house that you would like to sell for removal please call Ian Draper on 021 639 562.